9-Veggie SoupJul 24, 2021
Nine veggies come together to make this antioxidant-rich soup.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups chopped seasonal veggies (I used sweet potatoes, green beans and bell peppers)
- 1 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1-28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups organic chicken stock or organic chicken bone broth (can substitute with veggie stock)
- 2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups chopped Swiss chard, thick ribs removed
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
Warm 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, seasonal vegetables and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Add garlic, curry powder and thyme-stir frequently for 1 minute. Pour in diced tomatoes with their juices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
Pour in broth and water. Add 1⁄2 teaspoon more salt, bay leaves and the red pepper flakes. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Raise the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
Cook for 25 minutes. Remove lid and add the chard. Continue simmering for 5 minutes or more, until the greens have softened to your liking.
Remove pot from heat and remove the bay leaves. Stir in the lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
Your Weekly Sprout!
Enter your email address below for tips on how to sprout your seed of well-being!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.