Basic Roasted VeggiesFeb 07, 2022
Looking to eat more veggies but tired of salads and (let's be honest) boring and bland steamed veggies? This recipe will soon become your new favorite!
Roasting really brings out the flavor of vegetables. It truly is a game-changer. You can roast just about any vegetable, and for even more flavor, season with sea salt, pepper, herbs, and spices. My favorites are cumin, cayenne pepper, thyme, garlic, and especially turmeric.
Turmeric has a warm, earthy, sweet and peppery flavor and is a key ingredient in most Indian curries. Curcumin is the main active ingredient responsible for turmeric's anti-inflammatory properties, which may:
- Offer protection against certain cancers
- Treat arthritis
- Benefit those with inflammatory bowel disease
- Protect your heart
- Reduce blood sugar
- Help prevent Alzheimer’s disease. In fact, the effects of turmeric can be seen in rural India, where less than one percent of seniors aged 65 and over have Alzheimer’s disease, compared to about 13 percent in the United States.
- Enhance neurogenesis (the birth of new brain cells)
Fill your plate with a layer of Basic Roasted Veggies and top with a piece of wild salmon, or mix into salad greens, dress with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and top with strips of stir-fried tempeh for a truly unforgettable salad!
🥕Nutrition Tip: Combining turmeric with black pepper increases its bioavailability (absorption).
⏰ Time-Saving Meal Prep Tip: Batch roast a boatload of veggies, store in containers, and add to your meals throughout the week. You already have the stove fired up, so why not make the most of it?
Basic Roasted Veggies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
- Avocado oil
- Your favorite seasonings: cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, turmeric, sea salt, pepper, etc.
- Any combination of your favorite veggies, cleaned and trimmed:
- Bell peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Butternut squash
- Jerusalem artichokes (also known as Sunchokes)
- Sweet potatoes
- Yellow squash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add cleaned and trimmed veggies to a bowl and drizzle with avocado oil. Mix with a large spoon to make sure all veggies are lightly coated.
- Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste as well as your favorite seasonings.
- Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Your Weekly Sprout!
Enter your email address below to receive my weekly tips on how to sprout your seed of well-being!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.