Roasted Acorn Squash with Smoky Maple ButterOct 16, 2022
Indulgent is all I have to say about this comforting, flavorful side dish. The original recipe hails from Mark Bittman’s website.
The mouthwatering combination of pure maple syrup, cumin, smoked paprika, and grass-fed butter is seriously to die for.
I served this as a side dish alongside a couple squares of Veggie-Topped Turkey Crust Pizza, but you could also serve it with roasted turkey or chicken, pulled pork, or a beautiful leafy green salad topped with goat cheese, roasted vegetables, and toasted almonds.
Who knew wholesome food could taste so flippin’ amazing?!
Roasted Acorn Squash with Smoky Maple Butter
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 large acorn squash
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) Kerrygold grass-fed butter
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Carefully slice squash all the way down the middle, removing stem first if you have trouble.
- Once halved, slice a thin piece off the round bottom of each half so it sits nicely without rocking.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy membranes.
- Place cut side up on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add the paprika and cumin and stir until fragrant. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the maple syrup.
- Remove squash from oven and drizzle each half with butter mixture.
- Continue roasting another 25-35 minutes or until flesh is very soft and easily pierced with a fork, basting every 10 minutes. To baste, pull out oven rack with baking sheet and, with a pastry brush, baste the top edge of the squash with the mixture, then return to oven.
- When the squash is roasted, the flesh will be soft and the surface browned (with a few dark brown spots). Remove from oven, let stand a few minutes, and serve.
Your Weekly Sprout!
Enter your email address below to receive my weekly tips on how to sprout your seed of well-being!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.