The Best HummusDec 27, 2021
This simple and wholesome hummus recipe makes me wonder if I’ll ever use the store-bought kind again! Made with canned chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini (sesame seed butter), extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and cumin, The Best Hummus is creamy and dreamy with just the right amount of zing.
I like to use it as a:
- Base for my Loaded Hummus Platter- (see recipe and photo below...makes an impressive New Year's Eve appetizer!)
- Dip for raw veggies
- Topping for pizza
- Filling for avocados or deviled eggs
- Substitute for mayonnaise
- “Dressing” for salad. Lately I’ve been topping my green salads with a couple tablespoons of hummus and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
The Best Hummus
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: n/a
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (or use Lakewood Organic Pure Lemon Juice)
- 1 large clove fresh garlic, minced (or use 1/2-1 tsp. of jarred minced garlic)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2-4 tbsp. ice water, or more as needed (I use around 6 tablespoons to make it extra creamy!)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Combine lemon juice, garlic and salt in a food processor until garlic is finely chopped. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Add tahini and blend until thick and creamy, stopping to scrape the sides and bottom of food processor as needed.
- While running the processor, drizzle in 2-4 tablespoons of ice water and blend until really smooth, pale and creamy. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons more ice water if needed.
- Add the cumin, chickpeas, and baking soda to the food processor.
- While blending, drizzle in the olive oil. Blend until super smooth, again, scraping down the sides of the processor as necessary, about 2 minutes. Add more ice water by the tablespoon to achieve a super creamy texture.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Add toppings of your choice, such as a sprinkle of smoked paprika, diced Kalamata olives, or sun-dried tomatoes!
Loaded Hummus Plate
Prepare a batch of The Best Hummus, spread on a platter and load it up with any or all of these toppings:
- Raw veggies of choice
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Diced roasted peppers
- Kalamata olives
- Feta cheese
- Fresh parsley
Drizzle hummus with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika!
Your Weekly Sprout!
Enter your email address below to receive my weekly tips on how to sprout your seed of well-being!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.